How to check the starter?
Watch the video
With the work of the starter, most motorists can often have all sorts of problems. Many of them are often characterized by the fact that the car ceases to start or stalls all the time. If you do not have the opportunity or time to get to a specialized service center, it makes sense to make a self-diagnostics of the starter. There are several ways to test a starter. They can be used with special need.
Starter operation check
Usually, the starter is diagnosed in two ways - either in the brake mode or in the idling mode. In both cases, to check the starter you will need:
- Two fully charged rechargeable batteries, for example, 6ST-190 batteries, but you can take other ones as well.
- Secondly, you will need PGVA wires with a cross section of at least 1.5 mm² and power wires with a cross section of 50 mm².
- Also, in any diagnostic mode, you will need a starter switch of 20 A. In addition, a special device for fixing the starter will be mandatory.
- You will also need an ammeter with a shunt.For the task, how to check the starter from the battery in idle mode, you will need a conventional ammeter with a shunt of 150 A.
- In the event that the starter is to be tested in the brake mode, you will need an ammeter with a shunt of 1000 A. In addition, to check the starter in idle mode you will also need to use a tachometer. And when checking in the braking mode, you need a lever in order to fix the gear drive, as well as a dynamometer with a stand for its attachment.
- In how to check the removed starter, there are three main parameters - the magnitude of the voltage and current in the loaded mode, the idling speed and the level of current consumption during idling.
- When idle, the starter is usually not loaded, so the parameters of energy consumption will be determined only by the internal operation of the starter. Thus, if the starter consumes more than 128-130 A., then there are some problems in it. In case of break in the starter circuit, the current consumed by it will be zero, as a result of which the starter will not rotate. In such a situation, the cause of the malfunction may be in the pull relay, field winding, or armature winding.If the contact in the traction relay is dirty or burnt, the amount of current consumed will be less, due to which the armature rotates at low speed.
How to check starter relay
If turning the ignition key, the sound of rotation of the engine is not heard, then, most likely, the wire to the battery is broken. If the starter starts to work, but the motor does not rotate, the problem is in the retractor relay. There are several ways to test the relay, but you need to understand and understand how this mechanism works:
- To begin, you will have to remove the starter from the engine and connect the output of the pull-in relay to the positive output of the battery, and connect the starter case itself to the negative output.
- If the starter is working properly, then the anchor will push the gear, and you will hear a characteristic click. If the click is not heard, then, most likely, in the retractor relay failure.
- The relay breaks down due to burning of the contacts, jamming of the armature due to dirt or corrosion, burnout of the armature winding.
Full starter check
If you have never encountered the need to disassemble a battery or other mechanisms, then you will not understand the ways described here how to check the starter.Video - instructions will suit you more then, so you can visually see the whole process of disassembling the battery, engine, etc. The main stages of disassembly:
- Before you begin to disassemble the starter is better to mark the location on the starter retractor relay. This will simplify the further assembly of the starter. In starters cars most of the damage occurs due to wear or contamination of the lubricant.
- Removing the starter, it is necessary to inspect the collector, if necessary, it must be polished. You also need to clean and check the brushes, wipe the old grease and apply a new one.
- The front starter bush must be carefully inspected. A failed hub is the first cause of a malfunction, due to which the starter wedges the engine cannot start. Then the sleeve needs to be replaced. The new sleeve should preferably be bronze or copper-graphite. Everything must be thoroughly cleaned of chips and dirt.
- If you think that there is a breakdown in the bendix, then you need to check it for dirt. It is pollution that may prevent Bendix from working. Then you should try to cook Bendix in engine oil, it is quite an effective way.
- Take a screwdriver with a dielectric handle and bridge the contact bolts on the retractor relay. Two of these contacts are in positive polarity, one of the contacts is input, and the second is similar to an ordinary single-phase switch.
- The normal mode of operation of the starter is when the anchor rotates freely, without catching the flywheel. Such a process should occur when the bolts are closed.
Now you know how to check the starter of your car. This will help you quickly identify damage and replace the necessary part.
Bavarian Knitting Hot Stand
Second Stool Life
Chocolate and cinnamon rolls
How to paint a face
Stained glass jars